[PLUG] NFS Permission Q

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Wed Mar 12 11:30:03 UTC 2003

Okay, it's been awhile and I can't find the answer in the places I've looked
(duh).

Problem is that a directory mounted via fstab (or manually by root) gets a
uid/gid that doesn't otherwise exist on the client.  Therefore, no one has
access.

Added no_root_squash to prove that my method is otherwise working.  And root
can now `ls`, but this is to be for user home dirs.

I understand, that ideally, the user (let's call him `test`) should have the
same uid/gid on both machines, but I don't want to do this.  I also don't
want him squashed to anonymous.  Is this a job for NIS? or is there an
easier way?  (Maybe NIS is easy...)

(From what I gather, automount wouldn't help this problem)

===========
server's /etc/exports
   /home/test	192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)

client's /etc/fstab
   192.168.0.100:/home/test	/home/test	nfs	size=8192,wsize=8192

once mounted, /home/test looks like
   drwx------    2 502      502          4096 Mar 11 20:57 test

/etc/passwd says
   test:x:501:501::/home/test:/bin/bash