[PLUG] NFS Permission Q

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Mar 12 11:43:02 UTC 2003

At 11:29 AM 3/12/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>Okay, it's been awhile and I can't find the answer in the places I've
>looked (duh).
>
>Problem is that a directory mounted via fstab (or manually by root) gets a
>uid/gid that doesn't otherwise exist on the client.  Therefore, no one has
>access.
>
>Added no_root_squash to prove that my method is otherwise working.  And
>root can now `ls`, but this is to be for user home dirs.
>
>I understand, that ideally, the user (let's call him `test`) should have
>the same uid/gid on both machines, but I don't want to do this.  I also
>don't want him squashed to anonymous.  Is this a job for NIS? or is there
>an easier way?  (Maybe NIS is easy...)
>
>(From what I gather, automount wouldn't help this problem)

Yes, the user must have the same UID/GID on both machines, or it won't
work. That's why many (most?) automounting home directory setups use NIS or
LDAP. With a central user repository, the user automatically gets the same
UID/GID on any machine they log into.

Automount won't help, because automount would simply be automating the nfs
mounts, when needed.

Can I ask why you don't want the user to have the same UID/GID on both
machines? (I suppose I just did, huh?) That would be the easiest option.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html