[PLUG] To login or to not login?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Mar 12 11:45:03 UTC 2003

  I'd greatly appreciate someone passing me a pointer -- by reference will
do, thank you -- to the differences between login shells and non-login
shells. When does one want one and not the other?

  The context for this question is that, apparently, Red Hat uses only login
shells while slackware and debian don't. It's a pothole in my knowledge that
I'd like to fill.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President