[PLUG] ISP shell access still in demand?

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Thu Mar 13 08:31:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 06:12:48AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I need a shell account when I'm traveling. That way I can dial into it
> then ssh into my office network for mail, data or other information. Without
> a dial-up shell account I don't think that I could access anything.
>
>   My mail is delivered to my network so I need to log in remotely. Sometimes
> I need to get files for a project from a remote location. If there's a way
> of doing this without a shell account I'd sure like to learn how so I could
> save the money I pay each month only to keep that access available.

Here is what works for me.

1) Laptop with <linux distribution> installed
and a supported modem.

2) dialup access with local dialup numbers in the place
you will be needing it, otherwise use a cheap calling card
and a long distance number.

3) wvdial to establish internet connection

4) ssh into home machine from laptop.

5) scp any files needed.

Bill Barry