[PLUG] ISP shell access still in demand?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Thu Mar 13 13:43:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> I guess that I've been missing something here. Unless I have a shell
Rich> account, to what am I connecting via ppp when I call the ISP's phone number?
Rich> Don't I want a system prompt so I can then ssh to my network?

You have a "shell prompt" on the system you are dialing from.  Once
you have an IP connection to your ISP, slogin (or whatever) to the
system on your office network.

                                      ------
   +--------+        +-------+      (        )    +---------+
   | remote +~~~~~~~~+  ISP  +-----( internet )---+ office  |
                                      ------

You dial-in from the remote system to your ISP over a modem.  ISP
gives you an IP number.  You run slogin on remote system, connecting
it to the IP number at your office.  Everything just works.

Or was there something complicated?

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more