[PLUG] ISP shell access still in demand?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Thu Mar 13 21:48:02 UTC 2003

On 13 Mar 2003, Russell Senior wrote:

> Oh yeah.  I've got email in my archive somewhere of a conversation I
> had with Deibele at Teleport about using it in September 1993.

Talking with Jim about *anything* technical was sure to leave you in a
worse state than you were before. Ask the old krewe about Jim deleting
the mail spool one night...

Still, I learned tons from my shell account at Teleport. Its login
servers were the first SunOS systems I'd ever encountered, and they
had a decent Perl installation, C compilers, the whole works.

Now, with my home Internet connection approaching 24x7, I think I'd
find a remote shell account is less useful. I just ssh to my home
machines from wherever.

If all I had was a dialup account, however, my choice of ISP would
definitely be tilted toward the outfit that provided shell access and
a few megs in $HOME.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>