[PLUG] Add a hard drive without rebooting?

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Fri Mar 14 15:07:02 UTC 2003

Hey everybody-

I just got a new hard drive for the server.  I'd like to, if at all
possible, install the drive without rebooting.

I understand Linux uses the BIOS only to get booted, then from there on
out, it pretty much ignores it and does its own thing as far as drives
are concerned.

Could I thereby just plug in a drive and somehow get Linux to find the
drive or am I going to need to reboot?

If I reboot the computer, I'm going to need to pull it out of the closet
and plug in a monitor, as the BIOS battery is shot.  That and I'd lose
my 159 day uptime.  :-)

It's an IDE drive, all IDE system, an FIC SD11 board, Via 686A
southbridge, AMD Irongate northbridge.  The second channel is not used,
the only IDE device in there is the current harddrive, and it's primary
master.

Anybody ever tried it before?  :-)

Rob