[PLUG] NFS exported home & mozilla/X

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Fri Mar 14 16:35:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 14:51, Kyle Accardi wrote:
> Derek Loree wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 12:53, Kyle Accardi wrote:
> >>I don't want two different users.  It would be one user logged into two
> >>machines simutaneously.
> >

> > I'm not sure I understand, one user, two machines, one home directory;
> > simultaneously?  You're trying to have two seperate instances (and
> > possibly versions) of Mozilla trying to access the same user files at
> > the same time?  Is this nested X desktops, or on two seperate machines
> > that the user uses at the same time, a one for each hand kind of thing?
>

> Yes and yes, although I will only be using one of the two running mozillas
> at a time.
>
>  > Wouldn't it be easier to cluster the machines (CPU load is the only
>  > reason I can see for this arrangement)?
>

> Not sure I understand what you're getting at, but the whole idea is to be
> able to surf and email from a laptop in the kitchen during coffee, then use
> the basement machine to do the same thing the rest of the day.
>
> The thought was to export my home directory which lives on the basement
> workstation to my laptop.  Would work fine if X wasn't a requirement.

I think Synergy would be a better solution.  It is a "software" KVM,
from another article in the Linux Journal
(sourceforge.net/progects/synergy2).  With the server running on one
machine (your laptop), and a client running on another machine (your
basement box), you can configure it so that if you slide the mouse off
of the desktop of the server, in a particular direction, it switches to
the desktop of the client.  Of course, to get back to the laptop, you
have to have the server running on the basement box, so that when you
slide the mouse off the desktop, it goes back to the laptop's desktop.

HTH

Derek Loree