[PLUG] Add a hard drive without rebooting?

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Fri Mar 14 18:05:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On 14 Mar 2003, AthlonRob wrote:
>
> > I haven't run in to any problems yet - and have been doing similar
> > things with CD-ROM drives.  Risky?  Sure... would I suggest anybody else
> > do it?  Absolutely not.  But I'd be willing to risk the short.
>
>   Then, by all means go ahead. I thought you were asking for opinions on the
> operation.
>
> > You sure about the no emasculation thing?  I dunno... but if you say so...
>
>   It depends on hoe you value yourself I suppose.
>
> > Still, it is *such* a pain to reboot that system.  :-\
>
>   A short could be an even greater pain -- literally and figuratvely. If we
> don't see any posts from you for a few days we'll know what happened, eh?
>
> Have fun!

Well, Rob is far from the only uptime-obsessed geek out there...

http://theweeks.org/toms-stuff/PSI-WEB.html
(scroll down to "Uptime Transport Battery Hack")

http://www.rblords.com/anyboard/forums/general/posts/383.html

Okay, I admit it, I'm uptime obsessed too... to a point. I'll reboot for
kernel upgrades, but do like to advertise it via my `finger' page (see .sig)
and via an X-header, courtesy of Sven Gucke's finagle for `mutt'...

my_hdr X-Uptime: `uptime | sed -e 's/.*up \([^,]*\),.*/\1/'`

Since you are willing to live on the edge, if you have to take the beast
down, you could always try a little "white lie" hack...

http://www.srce.hr/~kreator/sources/projects/uptime_hack/
(caveat emptor)

cheers,
Sandy