[PLUG] IDE RAID and Linux (revisions)

Launi launi at zaramyth.net
Sat Mar 15 14:26:02 UTC 2003

I apologize as I have made a mistake in my original posting.  I'm only using
*4* drives for Raid level 5 I'll update the text below.

***
I did a search on the archives (http://plug.skylab.org/cgi-bin/htsearch) and
found nothing for IDE RAID.
***

I'm going to build a replacement Linux server for one of my aging servers
and want to do RAID 5.  I have done hardware SCSI RAID on Window$ so I know
how it works in principle.  I have never done software IDE RAID before.  I
have a few questions before I get started that may save me aggravation later
on. I understand that the Linux 2.4.x kernel supports software RAID and I
also know that in order to get the best performance you need your IDE drives
on one channel each.  I want RAID 5 with one hot spare using 4 identical 72
GB drives.

I'm open to using any Linux distribution that will make this work.  I have
used RedHat, Mandrake and Debian in the past.

 1. Can I just have my 4 IDE drives connected to two separate two channel
PCI IDE controllers and Linux will recognize them during startup?  2. If I
do buy a 4 channel controller (Rocket Raid 404) which does not support RAID
5 via hardware, will Linux support it using software?  3. Should I only use
the controllers listed here
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/ideraid.html)?
 4. If I'm not concerned about performance can I use one 2 channel PCI IDE
controller and connect the four drives (two on each channel)?

Basic RAID configuration questions

 1. If I use Linux software RAID without a hardware driver should I boot off
a single disk and then make RAID for just my data?  2. If I have hardware
RAID with Linux driver support can I install directly on the RAID?

I'm on a budget and this is a home business system so that I can store my
clients graphic work.  If I can use one PCI card with 4 ATA controllers on
it at a cost of $100 then this would be ideal.  If I have to go with a
higher end SX6000 or Escalade 7500-4 ATA 133 RAID Controller Card then I
would have to spend about $300.  I'll spend the money if that's what it
takes to work, but I wanted to use Linux software RAID and did not want to
have to deal with third party hardware drivers.

Lonnie Wormley
First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you.
Then they fight you. Then you win.
                             ~ Mohandas Gandhi