[PLUG] NFS exported home & mozilla/X

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Sat Mar 15 19:35:02 UTC 2003

> > Found a solution: close the unused mozilla & vncviewer.  Don't need nfs at all.
>
> Same would apply to email, just close it before going downstairs, the
> hard part will be remembering to close it again when you go back
> upstairs.

Just put a "killall <program_name>" in a login script, or make aliases
that do this on a per-program basis:

ie: alias mozilla="killall mozilla-bin && mozilla"

This is basically what I do with mutt (I don't kill it, my alias just
displays the mutt processes I own if it's running, incase I just
forgot what desktop it's on).

This seems like a pretty rough hack though. Especially with something
like Mozilla, I routinely keep browser windows open for months at a
time while I wait for time to look at the page I left them on, so
killing moz. would axe all these.

I've heard rumors about gnome2.2 (metacity?) being able to move an app
from one desktop to another. Am I hallucinating or is this more than
rumor?

-Rogan