[PLUG] IDE RAID and Linux

Brian Beattie beattie at beattie-home.net
Sat Mar 15 20:28:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-15 at 12:29, Launi wrote:

> I'm open to using any Linux distribution that will make this work.  I have
> used RedHat, Mandrake and Debian in the past.

This is a kernel issue, distro does not matter

>  1. Can I just have my 4 IDE drives connected to two separate two channel
> PCI IDE controllers and Linux will recognize them during startup?

That would work.

>  2. If I do buy a 4 channel controller (Rocket Raid 404) which does not
> support RAID 5 via hardware, will Linux support it using software?

from what I can tell this bord will just show up as 4 ide controllers,
this should work, though might require some configuration.

>  3. Should I only use the controllers listed here
> (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/ideraid.html)?
>  4. If I'm not concerned about performance can I use one 2 channel PCI IDE
> controller and connect the four drives (two on each channel)?

yes.

> Basic RAID configuration questions
>
>  1. If I use Linux software RAID without a hardware driver should I boot off
> a single disk and then make RAID for just my data?

That would be easier, but I believe you can boot off an md device,

>  2. If I have hardware RAID with Linux driver support can I install directly
> on the RAID?

if the bios supports booting from the device.