[PLUG] IDE question

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Sun Mar 16 18:08:02 UTC 2003

I tried to replace a CD-ROM drive on the secondary IDE controller (the
only device on that controller) with a CD-RW drive. I had some problems
and tried a new cable. With the new cable, the computer will not boot.
It will run the memory test, display Wait..., clear a couple of lines at
the bottom of the screen, and then sit there.

I put the old cable and the old CD-ROM drive back in the machine, and
got the same results. If I remove the cable and in BIOS tell the machine
that there is nothing on the secondary IDE controller, the machine will
boot.

The mother board is a Silicon Integrated Systems ATX style.

Any ideas?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens