[PLUG] Disk management

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 20:45:02 UTC 2003

Perhaps this is of general interest. Once I know the
reason why the request was made, I shall know.

--- "Marvin J. Kosmal" <lamsokvr at xprt.net> wrote:

> Can you post a
>

> du --max-depth=1 -h
>
> From the root directory

[root at psyche root]# du --max-depth=1 -h
4.0K    ./.gconfd
268K    ./.gconf
68K     ./.gnome
116K    ./.gnome2
4.0K    ./.gnome2_private
16K     ./.nautilus
16K     ./.gnome-desktop
32K     ./.metacity
4.0K    ./test
17M     ./.mozilla
4.0K    ./samba
152K    ./.netscape
204K    ./.kde
4.0K    ./.qt
8.0K    ./.xcdroast
108K    ./.wine
8.0K    ./.qcad
776K    ./.loki
16K     ./.fullcircle
24K     ./.sane
12K     ./.crossover
4.0K    ./.gnome_private
19M     .

> Thank YOU
>
> On Sun, 2003-03-16 at 20:18, Robert Kopp wrote:
> > I did something I shouldn't have done, installing
> > Linux distribution into a 10-GB partition. This
> seemed
> > generous at the time, but now I have less than 3GB
> of
> > free space.
> >
> > Could I move /home onto another partition? (Such
> an
> > unused partition is available on my system.) I
> could
> > mount the partition as something else, copy the
> files
> > from my present /home onto it, then change fstab
> > reflect the desired new arrangement. Let's
> see...and
> > then wipe the present /home directory.
> >
> > Or perhaps the new partition could be /opt,
> leaving
> > the present structure intact. (I have only one
> regular
> > "user," so it is not really necessary to expand
> /home
> > several fold.) Does anyone have suggestions on
> this subject?

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."