[PLUG] Sound recording w/ SB-Live! and gramofile

Richard Steffens rsteff at attbi.com
Tue Mar 18 14:11:01 UTC 2003

Bill Barry wrote:

> Try running aumix to see how the levels are set. For recording your
> "igain"  should be above 0 and the "line" level should have an R next to it
> indicating that it is the place to record from.

Progress, thanks. I was unaware of aumix. I've only seen the GUI mixer,
and it looked to be set correctly. Apparently, it was not.

The level for Line was indeed 0, and when I raised it, sound passed from
the stereo, to the sound card, and back to the stereo. It appears that
both the Line and Digital2 controls need to be adjusted. If either of
them moves, the level changes. There is an "R" next to Line, but not
next to Digital 2.

However, there still seem to be problems with gramofile. If I try to
play a .wav file, it acts like it did it and it's done in a flash. If I
try to record, it acts in a similar manner.

I tried reading the man file for sox, but didn't make sense of it. I'm
guessing, but is this partly correct?

  sox /dev/audio out.wav -t .wav -r 44100 -c 2

I couldn't figure out how to tell sox when to stop recording. Also, sox
reported that the effect -t is not known. Is there a helpful howto for
recording with sox, one that gives examples?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://rsteff.home.attbi.com/