[PLUG] phantom printer on CUPS, cannot share printer

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Sat Mar 22 19:56:02 UTC 2003

Once again, lured by the promise of "Don't worry, it's easy!" I tried to set
up a CUPS print server on my LAN. Before launching into a long tale of woe,
and appending endless config files and log dumps, perhaps a brief description
of the symptoms will serve:

I can use CUPS fine with local printers on /dev/lp0, no problem at all. I have
the official CUPS books, CUPS: Common Unix Printing System, by Michael Sweet.
It's better as a guide for someone who wants to write printer drivers, than
for an ole country sysadmin who just wants to print things. I edited
cupsd.conf according to the book. CUPS then added a phantom printer, in
addition to the local printer, naming it HP6L:

"Remote Printer on unknown
Location: Location Unknown
Printer State: stopped, rejecting jobs."

Cannot delete it, cannot start it, the only thing that can be done is client
machines connect to it with the greatest of ease, even Windows. That's right,
without Samba even. But neither linux nor windows can print to this stupid
thing, because it's really not there.

I have tried manually editing the configs, trying the various network
protocols, and not a blessed one of em works. I have The Official Book and
the online docs. No answers there.

Thanks in advance for brilliant advice. ;-)

--
Carla Schroder