[PLUG] Samba Setup

Petcher, Danielx J danielx.j.petcher at intel.com
Mon Mar 24 11:28:02 UTC 2003

I don't think so, but I'm willing to admit that I've been wrong more than
once or twice before.

My theory is that a newly booted workstation will transact its DHCP business
only with THE one particular DHCP server that responds first to its DHCP
request broadcast.

If that happens to be the same DHCP server 'A' it saw last time and the
server gives it an ACK to continue using the same address as before, the
workstation agrees to Server A's re-assignment and everything's fine,
despite the other server's jabbering. If the first DHCP server to respond is
the other one 'B' and NAKs the workstation's use of an address outside its
scope, it'll counter-offer an address the workstation agrees to the new
assignment and again, everything's fine. In either case, the server's
response is directed to the workstation's physical (MAC) address and it
contains the server's MAC and IP addresses for the workstation's responses.
Once the workstation hears its first response, it is only going to transact
with the DHCP server from which it heard its FIRST response.

If two DHCP servers always fought (NAK-ing each other's assignments) over
who can assign the workstation its address, there would be no way to set-up
redundancy in DHCP servers on a subnet without some complex communications
going-on between the redundant servers.

I think I mentioned that my solution was sub-optimal in that it doesn't
address the root-cause of the original poster's problem; namely, how to
shut-off the Samba server's DHCP service so that all workstations can get
canonical addresses from the router. I'll have to learn some more Linux
before I can give that answer with any authority.

-djp
http://folding.stanford.edu - the brain you save may be your own!