[PLUG] Re: apt-get problem

Sean Whitney sean at fork.com
Mon Mar 24 21:52:02 UTC 2003

> I've heard it said that keeping the root partition towards the beginning
> of the drive is best for performance (faster access of inner tracks,
> supposedly). This always struck me as pointless hare-splitting.
> Comments, anyone?

I heard this argument also, or that it should be at the outside of the disk.
The rotational velocity is faster at the edge so more sector's pass the head
every second.  Personally I think these are the rantings of no-nothing
"experts" with too much time their hands.  Who measure the .0001% access time
difference.  When a HD manufacture comes out and tells me after extensive
testing this is the best solution, then I will act accordingly.

Sean