[PLUG] Used motherboard wanted

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Mar 27 01:27:01 UTC 2003

On 26 Mar 2003, Ed Sawicki wrote:

> One of my servers is acting strange and I'd like to
> simply replace the motherboard. The current motherboard
> has a 1 GHz Celeron and PC-100 memory. Is anyone looking
> to get rid of an ancient motherboard?

Not really an answer to Ed, but I learned something very surprising
the other weekend about shopping for used computers.

I thought I'd have a look to see what was available at Goodwill,
figuring I could pick up an old 486 or Pentium I class computer
there for $20.-- or less. And so the wife & I went over to the
store on SE MLK, I found the electronics section, & I was shocked
at what they wanted for antique computers -- roughly twice what
I would price them at. (The least expensive unit was about $50.--,
& the hard drive was marked ``bad".)

I must not be too unreasonable in my price expectations, because
since then I found it trivially easy to locate similar makes of
used computers for less than Goodwill wanted -- shipping included!

Geoff