[PLUG] Lycoris NFS?

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Fri Mar 28 15:18:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 12:46, guy1656 wrote:
> : On Mar 27 at 7:52pm -0800, guy1656 wrote:
> :
> : Just curious - why is Debian not being considered?
> :
> : Tyler
> Because I am a user, not a developer, and I've heard that Debian installs
> require lots of points where one must know quite a bit, rather expertly and
> exactly, about the distro, how it works, and/or one must know or have handy
> lots if exacting and specific info about the hardware.

Not true, I am not a developer, and I can install debian.  All you
really have to know is how you want your hard drive partitioned, and the
name of the module that your network card uses.  The former is hardly
expert knowledge, and the latter can be found by trial and error (and
some educated guessing).  Everything else is laid out for you, all you
have to do is read and answer simple questions.

> I don't want to be 1/2 way through this and suddenly find I have to take the
> guts apart to find out 'How many cylinders are on /dev/hd1?' or some such
> thing.
>
> I've simply heard that Debian installs are a techno-intensive siege; I'm
> looking for the slot-a-CD and start a video in the other room, listen for
> 'BING,'  and your computer is now ready for a few quick NFS how-to-route
> commands.

I'll admit it isn't that easy, you will have to come back every once in
a while to answer some more questions, but the flexibility is pretty
amazing; I've been able to install debian on a larger variety of
equipment than any other OS.

If you select the simple method for software packages, you can customize
the servers and services to run, including the choice of an X-server.
The debian package management system is really easy to use, too.

> If there is a USER-friendly, RTFM-minimized, no-Web-research install of
> Debian, let me know.

Tough it out through an install on an old Pentium system, it will then
be a very user-friendly install :)

Good Luck,

Derek Loree