[PLUG] Possible bug in perl

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Fri Mar 28 17:45:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Colin Kuskie wrote:
> I may have found a bug-let in Perl, and I'd like to test it on as
> many operating systems and versions of perl that I can get.
>
> I'd appreciate it if as many of you as possible would run the following
> perl code and send me back the output with the version of perl that you
> use (from perl -v) and your operating system it would help me a lot!
>
> Thanks,
> Colin
[...]

[bigfish at kippered scripts]$ perl -v | head -2

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for i386-linux

[bigfish at kippered scripts]$ cat plugtest
#!/usr/bin/perl

$a = "name";
$b = 5;

my $c = "name";
my $d = 5;

print ".D(${a}[$b])\n";
print ".D(${c}[$d])\n";

[bigfish at kippered scripts]$ ./plugtest
.D(name[5])
.D([5])

[bigfish at kippered scripts]$ perl -w ./plugtest
Name "main::c" used only once: possible typo at ./plugtest line 10.
.D(name[5])
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./plugtest line 10.
.D([5])

Sandy
--
Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org