[PLUG] Speaking of FreeGeek

Jim Wilferling wolf67 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 23:15:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 11:19, Kyle Accardi wrote:
> I was there the other day looking for a small/thin pc.  I was dismayed to
> learn that they don't sell their hardware to the public.  There is a bit of
> stuff in the "store" but there was many cool-looking boxes piled up next
> door in the window that are off-limits to non-non-profits (although I am
> unemployed, don't think that counts.)
> um, the deal is, you domate 30 hours recycling, and they give you this really
 low-fi pII with 32 megs of ram and 1.8 gig hd's, preinstalled with
linux (used to be mandrake, might be debian now) so the "store" doesnt
have anything besides occasional good used monitors, slower cd roms,
leyboards, pointers, etc. Can be a good place. Depends on when you go
and who's working.
> Question is, anyone selling interesting hardware?  Wacky Willies NW is
> mostly monitors & keyboards. I remember their Aloha store being better, but
> it's been years and I don't get out there much at all.
> Heck, I never thought of WW's. do they have any big monitors?
> There was the place off Belmont & 34th?, but they turned unfriendly and
> always seem closed.  As mentioned earlier, the Thrift stores have gone
> upscale, I actually paid for a CueCat ($2) but I got that much fun out of it
> before throwing it in the drawer of future projects.
I dunno, I liked Belmont Computer on belmont & 27th or so quite a bit.
fairly helpful, decent prices on essential new parts, etc. Its not Fry's
, but then It's actually in town.Business looked brisk last I noticed.