[PLUG] xmms difficulties

Mike De La Mater mikedela at ipns.com
Mon Mar 31 00:31:02 UTC 2003

I'm running RH8.0 on a workstation I'd like to listen to MP3s on.

I've uninstalled the default xmms player (because RedHat removed MP3 support from it) rpms and installed the
ones suggested at xmms.org (thanks Wil and others). The thing appears to run correctly, and would have
convinced me it was running perfectly if I were deaf. CDs play perfectly, I get sound effects from input
errors, but no sound from MP3s.

The rpms I have installed now are:

Binary packages:
xmms-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm
xmms-mpg123-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm (mpg123 plugin)
xmms-skins-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm (skin package)
xmms-devel-1.2.7-13.i386.rpm (devel package)

as listed at:
http://staff.xmms.org/priv/redhat8/

Maybe I broke some setting while goofing with it, but these are freshly installed.

Any help appreciated.

Mike De La Mater
Small business networks and technology consulting
503-702-6749
mikedela at ipns.com