[PLUG] CDROM filename problem

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Mon Mar 31 08:41:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 02:30, Vincent Damewood wrote:
> I find that -r is often times better. It sets the
> owner  and group of all the files on the CD to root,
> and sets everything to chmod 444 or 555 as

Good point. Both your -r and -J points would apply to say a collection
of Java examples, which you'd what to be as portable as possible in
spite of the /r/n problem.

But if I'm backing up a home directory -R would be better, right?
> appropriate. I've gotten headaches about mismatching
> UID's if I try to access an old '-R' cd's after I've
> wiped my drive clean and installed a new distro, thus
> having to login as root to just copy the file. (It
> seems that I had a few chmod 600 files).
>
> Also if you plan on using these CD's with Windows, It
> would be a good idea to use the -J flag too for long
> filenames in Windows 95+.

Yes, one of the uses is backing up files from a Samba directory which
has files from that other OS.
 I, personally, don't have