[PLUG] CDROM filename problem

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Mar 31 10:00:02 UTC 2003

* Vincent Damewood <vincentdamewood at yahoo.com> [2003-03-31 09:28]:

> --- Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com> wrote:
> > But if I'm backing up a home directory -R would be
> > better, right?
>
> I wouldn't. The thing is, RockRidge stores UID's, not
> usernames.

As far as I know, userNAMES are never stored in the file system. It's ALWAYS UID and GID. The OS does the lookup to see who owns a fileentry.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #5 (Collect all 18)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi