[PLUG] [Fwd: [OS:N:] Use a firewall, go to jail...]

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Mar 31 11:52:01 UTC 2003

* mike <mike at linuxlink.com> [2003-03-31 11:15]:
> What next?
>
> Here is one example of the far-reaching harmful effects of these bills.
> Both bills would flatly ban the possession, sale, or use of technologies
> that "conceal from a communication service provider ... the existence or
> place of origin or destination of any communication". Your ISP is a
> communication service provider, so anything that concealed the origin or
> destination of any communication from your ISP would be illegal -- with
> no exceptions.

I think a valid arguement could be made that you aren't hiding anything, since the packets have valid headers on them, otherwise, they wouldn't work.

No, they aren't in plain text, but they must be vaild packets with both origin and destination in the headers.

The same could be said for NAT. Even though your NAT system readdresses the packet, you're not hiding the origin (you still send it through the gateway, didn't you?) and obviously, if the packet reaches it's destination, it must be listed too.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #5 (Collect all 18)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi