[PLUG] Open Source In Our Schools

Jon Jacob jon at manymoons.net
Fri May 2 11:50:02 UTC 2003

I admit I was being a little flippant due to time contraints.  I have
been too busy these days to write long treatises about my plans for the
schools.

What plan do I have?  Frankly, just good intentions.  However, we do
have districts in the area that have been successful at doing limiting
M$oft's influence and we could use them as a model.  (Perhaps stating
that I want to kick M$oft out was a bit too strong, but my point is to
introduce open source and limit our dependence on M$oft as a vendor.)

I guess my main response at this point is: how many other candidates for
school board have posted here and shown their willingness to be
open-minded about using open source in the Portland Public Schools.  If
you really want this to happen, you have someone who has worked on open
source systems, uses them daily, and is looking for new ideas to save
money.  If you want to part of the solution and not part of the problem,
perhaps you could assist in my efforts by posting your ideas how to
approach this.  I would be more than happy to hear your thoughts on this
(or any other issue).