[PLUG] Re: NYC looking at OSS

Ken Barber pundit at teleport.com
Fri May 2 14:05:06 UTC 2003

On Thursday 01 May 2003 07:21, Jeremy Hogan wrote:
> This is the (lightly edited) transcript of a presentation Tony
Stanco,
> Director of the Center of Open Source & Government, and
Associate
> Director of the Cyber Security Policy and Research Institute at
The
> George Washington University, made at a meeting of the New York
City
> Council's Select Committee on Technology in Government on April
29,
> 2003.
>
> http://newsforge.com/newsforge/03/04/30/1926238.shtml?tid=19

This guy was paying attention to what happened here in Oregon, and
has dealt with it very effectively!

I knew that our Open Source bill here was not likely to pass.  I
also knew that it would draw our opposition out into the open
where their techniques could be analyzed -- making the next
battle easier to win for someone else.

Stanco has done an EXCELLENT job of analyzing the FUD that our
opponents offered in committee testimony against the Oregon Open
Source bill, and countering it directly.  Congrats to him.

If only it were possible to turn back the clock here in Oregon and
include his testimony (above) here....

Ken Barber
author, HB 2892 (Oregon)