Possible Virus Was Re: [PLUG] Minnis bows to lobbyists of Microsoft

Prutzer techmage at aracnet.com
Fri May 2 14:18:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,
While Reading the Plug list today Norton discovered a Virus on my
machine. Yes, it's a win98 box, No, I don't know how it got here.
I had just finished changing some shares on the box so my network here
could function a little freer. I writing to let you know it is
something you might want to check your system for.

It's called the W32/Opaserv-a virus on Sophos.
(www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32opaserva.html)

it uses an ip vulnerability to computers with open  c: shares and
netbios enabled.

Not hard to get rid of if you catch it early.

Norton caught it and alerted me and I was able to go to Google and
find the fix.

I'm passing this on so you can be made aware that it's in the portland
area, that anyone connected to the Internet can get it(well, it
doesn't work on Linux or Mac's) and that even those of us who should
know better( Mea  Maxima Culpa)  can fall to this one while doing
things we take for granted should be safe.

So, thanks for reading, I now return you to the discussion on how best
to fillet and cook a politician.

Harry
AKA Prutzer
Sed Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?