[PLUG] Sharing a modem

Michael Montagne montagne at boora.com
Sat May 3 07:53:02 UTC 2003

My wife is moving her company and needs to use a modem to connect to the
internet until her DSL is installed.  They are all Win98/95 machines.
Someone told her that she could set up a Win2000 machine as a phone
server.  Then:
Me:  "You should use a linux box"
Her: "A linux box!!  Can you set that up for me?"
Me:  "Well, err, I, um , well......"

My experience is limited to my home network using DSL and an IP
masquerading firewall.  Ridiculously easy.  Could I employ the same
technique with a dial up modem?  How to set that up (I'll use Debian,
probably Knoppix)?  I think once I got going I'd be OK.  What
application is used to dial up?  How will it automatically dial when
accessed by a client on their network?  Can it be shared ala a DSL/NIC
style setup?

Thanks a lot.

--
  Michael Montagne  http://www.themontagnes.com  503.226.1575