[PLUG] Sharing a modem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 3 08:38:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 3 May 2003, Michael Montagne wrote:

> My wife is moving her company and needs to use a modem to connect to the
> internet until her DSL is installed.  They are all Win98/95 machines.
> Someone told her that she could set up a Win2000 machine as a phone
> server.  Then:
> Me:  "You should use a linux box"
> Her: "A linux box!!  Can you set that up for me?"
> Me:  "Well, err, I, um , well......"

  Until we installed dsl almost four years ago we shared a modem among all
machines and it would dial and connect whenever someone went to fetch a Web
page, do a ftp transfer or when fetchmail went to get mail from the ISP. So,
the answer is, "Yes".

  I _thought_ there was a daemon called, "diald", but I cannot find it on my
system. However, there's a PPP-HOWTO and you'll want to read 'man pppd' and
'man wvdial'.

  When you have specific questions someone more knowledgeable than I will
answer them for you.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)