[PLUG] Oregonian letter, HB 2892

Michael Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat May 3 14:35:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday 03 May 2003 01:33 pm, you wrote:
> Ed Sawicki wrote:
> > When our Federal government lets us down, our State
> > governments could step in with a partial remedy but
> > even a highly diluted remedy (HR2892) was killed -
> > also by a Republican.
>
> It's not dead til it's dead. Accepting their party line only helps make it
> appear more real. The fat lady has yet to sing.

There are many Republicans who don't agree with this bill going down.
Still, what will do mroe is repairing the educational system so that
tomorrow's IT people are better able to use OSS or any non Microsoft
option for that matter.  A very rel problem is that open source is politically
incorrect where making Republicans out to be open source enemies is
only going to make it more politically incorrect.  The question of open
source needs to be depoliticized and made to stand on arguments of
fact.  The best argument I've heard was that the software industry was
competitive before the 80's.  The democrats in this state are not saints,
they gave us doctor assisted suicide, abortion, and Kulongoski.

     --  Michael