[PLUG] Oregonian letter, HB 2892

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Sat May 3 16:14:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 16:02, Russell Evans wrote:
> The judge in the Microsoft case that handled things after Jackson was Judge
> Kollar-Kotelly. She was appointed to the United States District Court in May
> 1997.  Remind me again when Bush was elected.

Your point is what?

> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-241565.html?legacy=cnet
> The 13-year investigation, which required IBM to retain 200 attorneys at one
> point, fizzled in the early '80s as the computing landscape shifted from
> mainframes to personal computers. The government abandoned the tainted effort
> entirely in 1982, as clones of the IBM PC eroded Big Blue's dominance.

What do clones of the PC have to do with anything when,
as you say, the investigation was on-going for 13 years?
Do you think the DOJ dropped the case just because IBM
had competition in one market segment that was
insignificant to IBM at the time?

Will some future historian claim that Microsoft was
forgiven their crimes because their X-Box did not do
well?

> Thank you
> Russell
>

> On 03 May 2003 15:10:16 -0700, Ed Sawicki said:
>

> >  Facts are facts. In all major battles between corporate
> >  monopolists and the U.S. government (DOJ and FTC) that
> >  I've paid attention to, it was a Republican administration
> >  that dropped the case, or forgave the crime in some way.
> >  One of the more obvious examples in the computer industry
> >  is  (Ronald Regan administration), where the case was
> >  dropped. Now Microsoft (Bush administration), where the
> >  company was convicted but was not punished for the crime.

Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC