[PLUG] Open Source In Our Schools

Holger Stephan holger at selover.net
Sun May 4 13:32:02 UTC 2003

Hey, I am gambling too. Always looking to find a lottery ticket on the
street, dropped by the poor soul who has given away the chance to sack
the big one. The statistical advantage of buying the ticket versus
trying to find one is neglectable.

Holger

On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 21:02, Sean Whitney wrote:
    > A voice of reason.  It is interesting how few people know, understand,
    > and can use high school mathematics; things like algebra, the Pythagorean
    > Theorem, and simple right triangle trigonometry.  No wonder so many people
    > misunderstand and miss use more advanced mathematics, like probability and
    > statistics.

    The success of state lottery is an example of a failure of our education
    system to teach mathematics.  Someone once said that gambling was a tax on
    those who flunked math.

    Sean