[PLUG] Emacs shortcuts?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 5 09:57:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Michael Robinson wrote:

> So quickly, is emacs better than vim?

  No. They are different.

> I've learned some tricks such as multiple windows and have seen versions
> of vim that syntax highlight C code so I'm really starting to wonder just
> how different these two editors are.  Are the colors used for syntax
> highlighting under the editors the same as the ls colors?  I want to
> change the black background and colorization choices for the terminal and
> ls becuase the color don't show up well to my liking. Blue does not come
> out on black.

 AFAIK, both can be used for just about any editing/writing/coding task. In
my -- admittedly limited -- experience, vi(m) tends to be the editor of
choice of SysAdmins because it's small and fast (because of a gazillion
keyboard shortcuts for _everything_). Emacs has been described as the editor
with everything -- including the kitchen sink. As a result, it is quite
large (emacs == Eight Megs And Counting Still) but it can be used as the
shell for your console sessions.

  Both support color and syntax highlighting.

  My copy of emacs used to come up with a white background and black/colored
text on it. I find that too contrasty for comfortable viewing so I changed
everything in ~/.emacs to produce a black background with the colors I want
on it.

  Works for me.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President