[PLUG] Speaking Of Emacs

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Tue May 6 11:17:02 UTC 2003

On 05 May 2003 21:23:51 -0700
merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> xemacs has the advantage that it can include a "package" even if that
> package's copyright has not been signed over to the FSF.  RMS refuses
> to allow such a package into GNU Emacs.  While I understand RMS's

I read about that.  Kind of a sketchy issue.  (Someone here lauded
xemacs as the competition GNU emacs needed to get its act together; yet
RMS thinks this competition is unfair and wants everyone working
together. . . .)

But what are these non-GNU packages?  Are they really cool, or are they
not so important?  I'm having a hard time seeing any real differences
between these two emacsen, from a user's perspective.

Specifically, though, I need code completion.  I don't know if anyone
here writes Java, but to me the most important plugin-type feature in a
Java IDE is one that scans all my source and any other .jars I use, and
gives me a list of members for the object at the cursor--and very
preferably one that can show me the Javadocs for each one as well.
Anyone know if *emacs does that?

--Jason