[PLUG] Compiling the kernel with new drivers

m at pdxlug.org m at pdxlug.org
Tue May 6 11:28:02 UTC 2003

>> On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 18:01, m at pdxlug.org wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me or direct me to a resource describing how to build a
>>> Linux kernel that includes a new driver?
>>>
>>> I had to build a new kernel to enable multi-LUN support for my tape
>>> library.  I've discovered that my Dlink DGE-550T NIC locks up under
>>> high
>>> load and I've downloaded the latest Linux driver from the Dlink
>>> website.
>>> So I've got the source code and a simple Makefile.  Now I just need to
>>> know how to make it a part of a new kernel.
>>> Thanks,
>>> ~M
>>>

>> You might not need to recompile the kernel. Is module support enabled
>> for your current kernel? If so all you probably need to do is get the
>> module that you received from DLink in the right spot and make a change
>> to modules.conf. Also take a look at the insmod (and associated)
>> man-pages.
>
> Yes, thank you.  But what if I wanted to build a kernel without module
> support, for security reasons, etc.?  How would I include that driver in a
> static kernel?
> Thanks,
> ~M

OK, I found a newer version of the dl2k.c (version 1.17) distributed with
the RH 9 2.4.20-9 kernel-source.  I copied the .c and .h files to their
correct location in the kernel source tree, built a new kernel with that
driver, and now I no longer have the lockups when transferring large
amounts of data over the network.  I'm still curious as to how you would
include a new driver that wasn't already listed in the "make menuconfig"
screens.  I assume there's a config file somewhere that you can point to
the new driver and add a description, etc.
Thanks,
~M