[PLUG] Karen Minnis responds!

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Tue May 6 13:31:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 01:07:51PM -0700, Ken Barber wrote:
> http://www.oregonlive.com/letters/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/editorial/1052222246325432.xml
>
> Anybody care to respond to her claim that the only reason she
> killed the bill was because it was "a solution in search of a
> problem?"

"I appreciate Barber's efforts to encourage state agencies to use
open-source software, and I share his desire to save money at all levels
of state government. However, state agencies already have the ability
under existing law to use open-source software." -Karen Minnis

So, the bill looks like it failed, and since the agencies have the
ability to use open source, maybe we should start a new approach.  Start
working with individual agencies to adopt new internal IT policies
encouraging the use of OSS.