[PLUG] Karen Minnis responds!

Jon Jacob jon at manymoons.net
Tue May 6 14:11:02 UTC 2003

It seems to me that this is exactly what she wants you to do, because it
will be nearly impossible to get agencies to switch.  Why should they?
They may be sympathetic with OSS but unless mandated to switch, I doubt
they will.  A few might, but not en masse.

I think you need to approach this from two fronts:

1) You need to stress that conservatives such as Minnis repeatedly talk
about reducing costs, but when push comes to shove they ignore an easy
solution.  A letter writing campaign to the Oregonian will be far more
effective than letters to her unless of course you are in her district.

2) Which leads me to the second front...... get anyone you know in her
district -- East County and Wood Village -- to write her.  This is where
the pressure will come from.

If you folks are serious about putting the pressure on her, you need to
start doing some grassroots work.  All the ideology and bantering back
and forth will mean nothing without political backing.  There are simple
things you can do if you have about a dozen people to start with --
phone calls, letter writing to voters, and door to door canvasing.  I am
afraid that unless you are willing to put in the work at the ground
level there will be no reason for her to change her mind.

Jon Jacob <jon at manymoons.net>