[PLUG] data transfer to a ethernet-less Mac powerbook 180c?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri May 9 16:47:02 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Rogan" == Rogan Creswick <creswick at cs.orst.edu> writes:

Russell> I am piddling around with a little project of getting linux
Russell> running on a non-x86 machine.  I've got this circa 1994
Russell> Macintosh Powerbook 180c, which will run linux (I've
Russell> partially booted it), but lacks a good way to move data onto
Russell> it.  No ethernet.  I don't have any other Mac's that

Rogan> If it has a pcmcia slot there are many options

Nope.  No pcmcia.

Rogan> or if you can pull the HD, then you can plug it into a desktop
Rogan> with a cheap ($5) adapter and install there.

Don't know if I can pull the HD or not.  It _is_ a SCSI disk,
connected to a 5380 controller.  What adapter are you referring to?

Currently, I've booted to where the kernel looks for a root filesystem
and, not finding one, it panics.

Getting the necessary files onto the HD, I've resorted to dialing into
an ISP and ftp'ing files off of the machine on my DSL-connected
desktop.  Just seems like there ought to be a better way.  I'd happily
resort to floppies if I knew how to concatenate split binary files
under MacOS.

Hmm. Okay, now I've set up an external SCSI from spare parts.
Penguin-19 even tells me it is there /dev/sdb.  Hmm, how to get access
to it though.

--
Russell Senior          ``Rome is strangling my people and my country... the
seniorr at aracnet.com       whole earth.  But not forever!  I tell you, the day