[PLUG] data transfer to a ethernet-less Mac powerbook 180c?

Paul Mullen pem at nellump.net
Sat May 10 13:49:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 04:43:47AM -0700, Russell Senior wrote:

> Digging around in my junk drawer, I discovered that I actually have
> one of these SCSI connectors, and a 25-pin to 50-pin SCSI cable.  I
> don't quite understand the significance of the switch, but with it
> "off" it seems to "work".  Says:

Well, the guy you quoted explains it pretty well. Old SCSI-based
PowerBooks had an extra pin on their odd-ball SCSI port. If the cable
you used had that pin present, then the PowerBook would enter "SCSI
target" mode and act as an external SCSI device to whatever it was
plugged into. Without the pin, it was the host and whatever was on the
other end would be, well, itself.

> I actually have it _almost_ working.  Just trying to find a kernel
> that works right now.  With the prebuilt ones on the sourceforge site:

I can't offer much help with kernel issues. I've only installed Linux on
PPC Macs, and didn't even know someone was still attempting a 68k port
(beyond the all-but-dead MkLinux project). NetBSD is supposed to work
pretty well on 68k hardware, though. :-)

> I don't understand what the ADB is.  Maybe I'll need to try
> cross-compiling my own kernel.

ADB is the "Apple Desktop Bus." It's what Apple used for HID stuff
(keyboards, mice, etc.) for many years. Looking at your kernel messages,
it's not immediately apparent what's causing it to freeze.

Paul