[Pdx-pm] Re: [PLUG] Minnis answers questions at City Club

russj at dimstar.net russj at dimstar.net
Sun May 11 18:40:02 UTC 2003

Brian Beattie said:
> On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 12:42, Thomas Keller wrote:
>> Ken, and all,
>> It's oxymoronic, perhaps to write this to the list, but let's find
>> another forum for this type of discussion. I actually followed up and
>> emailed the representatives listed in the first posting.  And I'll join
>> another list ("geeks-on-oregon-policy", pdx-goop-list?). But, as
>> important as this topic is, I'd like to continue to follow "rules"
>> pertinent to the list and keep the postings on topic: perl mongering.
>> Thanks,
>> Tom K
>
> I guess I'm just a knee-jerk anti-ms-ite, but I don't see how this is
> off topic.

As one who as been called "off-topic" on more than one occasion, I think I
can help you understand why this is off topic.

This list is for getting help, and helping other to use, run, configure,
any of the different *nix type OSes. This includes, but is not limited to,
Linux, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, *BSD, Tru64, and Irix.

It is not a political list. It is not a vi vs emacs list.

I've also heard it said that when people start complaining about any
particular topic, that topic is automatically off-topic. Sort of like
invoking Godwin's Law, without the Nazi/Hitler part.
(http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g/Godwin_s_Law.html)

Plug has a list for "off-topic" discussions. plug-talk at pdxlinux.org. It's
very quiet right now.

If I'm incorrect, I'm sure I'll be corrected within seconds of this
posting. :)

--
Russ Johnson
http://www.dimstar.net