[PLUG] tcl question

Kyle Accardi sandbox at pacifier.com
Mon May 12 23:54:01 UTC 2003

I'm diving headfirst into tcl with someone else's code.  Since his code
works (just want to better it) and the books I have aren't that good, it
makes sense to learn off this app.

Figured the breadth of knowlege here might give a quick response.

Has to do with the 'binary format' bit below.  I can't figure out why it is
necessary & how it even works.  (I did read 'man binary' a few times).  The
idea is to send commands to a serial attached device.  The command set is
analogous to the Hayes AT set.

Why does 'puts' yield nothing?  And why would a device that is expecting a
packet of hex values need a binary conversion?

#!/bin/sh
# the next line restarts using wish \
exec wish "$0" "$@"

set bin_cmd [ binary format "H2H2" 11 00 ]
puts stderr bin_cmd=$bin_cmd

exit

Cheers,
Kyle Accardi