[PLUG] Java programmers?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 13 06:37:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, David Fleck wrote:

> Yes, they certainly can, but they don't have to be - you can make several
> smaller jars as well.

David,

  That's certainly reasonable.

> Well, personally I think pulling out my fingernails with pliers would be a
> better choice than emacs, but that's just me.

  Chacun a son gout. Some folks cannot work without a GUI and think that a
browser interface is the only way to go. Others of us -- including me --
much prefer the CLI but go gooey because we need to. That's neither here nor
there. Visters cannot understand emacians and vice-versa. :-)

> Yes, eclipse/ant/etc will keep track of class dependancies and handle all
> the rebuilding/rejarring and so forth.  Ant seems to be on its way to
> becoming the de facto standard make equivalent for Java projects, and
> eclipse can use Ant for builds.  Ant has its own idiosyncracies - it helps
> to have a good understanding of XML, and personally I find it just as
> annoying as makefiles, just in different ways.

  Ah! Thank you for putting the ant in perspective with eclipse. I
downloaded elipse last evening (haven't yet installed it), but read the FAQ
to figure out just what it is, does and how. Yes, the FAQ actually taught me
all that. The FAQ mentioned ant, but I was then under the impression that
ant was another, competing, IDE. Now I understand that it ain't.

  How does HotSpot fit into this jigsaw puzzle? I know that hot spots aren't
good when my dogs get them, but apparently they're a Good Thing when
presented by Sun. Is HotSpot a java compiler that can be directed by either
ant or eclipse? I'm trying to understand a whole new system here and to see
the forest when now I see only the trees (and a bunch of Himalayan
blackberry vines along the way).

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President