[PLUG] Java programmers?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue May 13 10:59:02 UTC 2003

On 13 May 2003, Jeff Schwaber wrote:

> the Jar is usually the equivalent, but remember that the jar cannot be
> run without a Java interpreter present (and in the path) on the target
> machine. To compile to native bytecode, you'd have to use gcj, which is
> rather alpha in development and may or may not compile your code.

  And I apparently have a path problem here that I'm trying to resolve.

> How big is the application? How much code are you personally writing?

  Medium to very large. Most of it will be written here.

> netBeans works, but is very very very slow. I gave up on it because it
> took way too long to load on even my newest machines. But it does work
> just as well as any of the others.

  I was advised to use eclipse. It's downloaded and installed but not
running. I believe it's a path problem as files are not found.

> open question: can emacs do that trivially?

  Yes. Emacs invokes the Makefile for a project.

> Yes, because there aren't really any.

  Any parallelizing java compilers?

> On the other hand, you will _never_ get the performance on a java app
> that you would on a high-performanced compiled C/C++ app. Not even the
> percentage increase for adding multiple processors that you would. Java
> is no longer the lumbering beast of old days, but it's still no cheetah.

  OK. That makes very good sense. Java is ideal for my immediate need, but
for the larger, drainage basin integrated model, I'll stick with C and
FORTRAN.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President