[PLUG] (no subject)

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed May 14 14:51:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 13:32, plug wrote:
> >> Is the OS trying to start the X-server?
>
> The screen goes blank long before it tries to start the
> X-server. When booting, I see the hardware booting screens
> before any OS has started. The instant that the Linux
> kernel is booted (I am assuming) the screen goes blank,
> so not Linux boot messages whatsoever. It seems like
> there should be a boot option that I need to be designating
> that will tell any and all graphics messages to go to the
> PCI graphics board instead of the AGP.

Yep, looks like the kernel is being fed incorrect boot instructions.  If
there is no AGP device, then the kernel won't try to send information to
it.  My theory is that the kernel is putting the console into a mode
that your video card doesn't support, this was confirmed when you
successfully installed the old version of RH.  If this is the case, the
kernel is probably booting, and the OS is probably running; just not
capable of displaying anything.  Can you access it over the network?

> >> Can you boot the RH rescue disk (use the old version)?
>
> I haven't tried and to my memory I am never prompted to
> make one. I'll look further, but my sense is that it would
> not work.

Usually, there is a rescue option when the installation disk boots up.

> Thanks again for all your help.

Your welcome.

Derek Loree