[PLUG] two pieces of hardware and debian

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed May 14 17:09:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-05-14 at 15:08, max murphy wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm currently running debian unstable and have got almost all of my system configured except my usb wireless nic (prism2_usb module for a dwl-120 from dlink) and my soundcard (built into my MSI kt266pro2 motherboard).
>
> So far I have my wireless adapter working as far as loading the modules and getting the hardware working,  my only problem is configuring it, I have it joined to my wlan and showing up in ifconfig as wlan0 with the correct ip address through dhcp but it just will not work correctly, if anyone can help me with a startup script for this device so that it will start at boot I would really appreciate it.

You need to be more specific about what doesn't work, since it is
getting an address from your access point, something is working.

What does ifconfig show for wlan0?

What does iwconfig show?

What are the settings of your access point?

Are you trying to use WEP?

The setup for the wireless card is done in two places, /etc/modules
needs a line for the wireless card module (these get modprobe'd during
start up) and /etc/network/interfaces needs information about the wlan0
settings; man iwconfig for more information.

> My second problem is with a via82cxxx_audio module. Whenever I modprobe the module for the device it says that it is not present, I'm trying to configure it with alsa. I apt installed alsaconf and it doesn't recognize the sound device either. If anyone has input on how to fix this, once again I would greatly appreciate it.

Try the AC97 module, it just might work (but might not - it doesn't hurt
to try though).

Good Luck

Derek Loree