[PLUG] two pieces of hardware and debian

Devon Holcombe dholcombe at hotmail.com
Wed May 14 19:26:02 UTC 2003

I have an msi 266 pro-r, the previous revision of this board with raid. It
has the original via 266 chipset rather than the 266a or the raid. I
currently have slackware 9.0 installed, with no sound and no gui. I have
previously used the alsa sound driver on this board with both slackware 8.1
and 9.0. I however have always downloaded alsa directly from the alsa
project page and configured it according to the directions there. The
onboard sound under linux the last time I tried the alsa driver sounds
pretty crappy though and you can actually hear the em interference when
other data is passing through the chipset and interfering with the sound
processing...such as when you move the mouse, transfer data on the pci
bus(such as through a nic) etc. The interference issue was never a problem
when I used the board under windows so it appears the linux driver has some
type of filtering issue and still needs some work to be done, but the sound
is usable and it does work using alsa. No need to purchase oss.