[PLUG] Email Notification

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat May 17 12:17:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Here's another interesting problem:  I want to know when certain people
> email me, and since I'm usually working in a different workspace from my
> email client, I'd like to play a WAV when it happens.

Jason,

  I wonder how long it will take you to memorize the song for each person
sending you a message. Have you selected the tune for spam yet?

> What I'd really prefer is to configure Postfix, over on my server, to
> pick out the emails and take some action which my workstation would then
> notice based on a cron task run every few minutes.  That would play me
> the WAV, and I could then go to Sylpheed and grab the message.

  Why not do this with procmail? Since you can sort incoming messages to
different files I suppose that you could have it sing to you, too, while
it's doing so.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)