[PLUG] debian, x11, and nvidia geforce 2.

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Sun May 18 14:56:02 UTC 2003

> I'm not getting audio from within kde; some error comes up about a
> nonexistant "/dev/dsp." I didn't try playing sounds from the command line.
> It's probably fairly simply solvable. I'll nail it down.

You probably need to load your sound card drivers, but first try
playing something from the command line (prefferably with out kde
running, so arts dosen't interfere with your testing).

In debian, by default you have to be in the "audio" group to access
/dev/dsp, so if you eventually get permission errors ("cannot open
/dev/dsp ...") this is probably the problem, note that you have to
logout (well, login) after adding your user to a group for that to
take effect.

-Rogan